“Children”, the Bible tells us, are an heritage of the Lord (Psa 127:3) in other words they are God’s inheritance – his property, as parents, we have only been privileged to be their custodians, caretakers and managers.
Seldom times, leaders who appear to be excelling in their career, business and ministry fail in the area of child upbringing. This in the eyes of the Lord is failure. The Bible tells us one of God’s purposes for instituting marriage in Malachi 2:15
Didn’t the LORD make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are His. And what does He want? Godly children from your union. So guard your heart; remain loyal to the wife of your youth. (New Living Translation)
Didn’t God create you to become like one person with your wife? And why did he do this? It was so you would have children, and then lead them to become God’s people. Don’t ever be unfaithful to your wife. (Contemporary English Version)
The union of marriage is aimed at leading leaders to lead their children into becoming God’s people. In today’s world, even some pastors lose their children to societal vices and ungodly compromise. This was the case with scriptural examples like Eli (1 Samuel 3:13), Samuel (1 Samuel 8:1-6) and King David (2 Samuel 12ff).
The sins of Eli’s children included their acts of profanity and fornication with ladies who come to the ‘Church’ for worship. See 1 Samuel 2:22-25. Concerning 1 Samuel 3:13 Wesley wrote in his commentary – “They who can, and do not restrain others from sin, make themselves partakers of the guilt. Those in authority will have a great deal to answer for, if the sword they bear be not a terror to evil – doers.”
In the case of Prophet Samuel, his children (Joel and Abiah) made the elders of Israel to apply for a King (1 Samuel 8:1-5) because they were anxious for filthy wages, perverted justice and took bribes. It was obvious that God didn’t like their request for a king but had to approve it since the judges who were the children of the leader were a disappointment.
No matter how busy you are, you owe God, yourself and humanity the honour of raising godly children. To fail in this area will be to plan to destroy whatever legacy, prosperity and name you may be making for yourself.
Rise up, take responsibility and love, teach and train your children in the ways of the Lord so when they grow they will not depart from the righteous path – Proverbs 22. A few tips to managing your children:
– Start early: You can only bend a reed while it is tender and fresh
– Use the Word of God: Speak it into them, read it with them, teach it to them. Psalms 119:11
– Apply the rod: He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him quickly.. Pro 13:24
– Be firm: Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of discipline will remove it far from him. Pro 22:15 (NASB)
– Pray for and with them: Prayer changes things and people
– Love them: Don’t be harsh with them. Rather, treat them with love. Correct, but don’t bully them.
– Listen to them: Many kids just need some attention. Don’t get too busy that you have no time for them.
I trust the Lord to support you to manage your children for His glory.
– david sanda